Welcome to #ChristianBooktober Day 11: Synapse- Steven James New Book
I thoroughly enjoy Sci-Fi. You can call me a Trekkie and I wouldn’t mind. Shows like Sliders and Eureka are fun! But they all lack that thread of faith, of being able to trace the fingerprints of God.
I also enjoy Crime shows like JAG and NCIS. They cover some awful stuff, but Justice wins. A little graphic sometimes, but satisfying to see the good guys solve the case.
Steven James new book, Synapse, has the best of both of those, without any bad language or graphic displays that you have to cover your eyes for.
While this is a Celebrate Lit Book Tour, I actually received the book from NetGalley, and am very grateful to both of them for sharing!
*Please note that this post contains affiliate links, where at no extra cost to you, if you purchase through my link, I may receive a small percentage to help support this blogging ministry. I received a copy of this book from the author through one of the groups listed in my disclosure page. I chose to review it here and all thoughts are my own. You can read my full disclosure here.
About Steven James NEW Book
Author: Steven James
Genre: Thriller, Sci-Fi
Release Date: October 8, 2019
Thirty years in the future, when AI is so advanced that humans live side by side with cognizant robots called Artificials, Kestrel Hathaway must come to terms not just with what machines know, but what they believe. Is hope real for them, or merely an illusion?
Soon after experiencing a personal tragedy, Kestrel witnesses a terrorist attack and is drawn into a world of conspiracies and lies that she and Jordan, her Artificial, have to untangle. With a second, more brutal attack looming on the horizon, their best chance of stopping it is teaming up with federal counterterrorism agent Nick Vernon.
But the clock is ticking—and all the while, Jordan is asking questions that Artificials were never meant to ask.
Deftly weaving suspense and intrigue into a rich, resonant tale that explores faith and what it really means to be human, Steven James offers us a glimpse into the future and into our own hearts.
Synapse is an unforgettable, gripping story of dreams shattered, truth revealed, and hope reborn.
Click here to get your copy!
- 3 Amazing Christian Time Travel Adventures
- Stratagem for Murder
- Revolutionary (also set in a possible near Future)
My Review of Synapse by Steven James
Okay, WOW! This book is amazing!! I got absolutely nothing done while I was reading this book. Couldn’t put it down! I believe I highlighted 1/4 of the book!
First there was the suspense/drama/action playing out. Purists vs techies. Those who don’t want humans to lose their place because AI can do everything faster and better. Vs those who think the next tech development, whatever it is, is progress.
(I empathize with the Purists, but think there’s room for reasonable tech)
And then the ‘sentient AI robot longing for something beyond this existence’ thread. This was Awesome!!
As Jordan made his choices and searched for meaning and forgiveness, I fell in love. His story is powerful. The Bible says Let everything that has breath praise the Lord. Now Robots don’t breathe, but Jordan had a lot else going for him. He seemed more human than some people I’ve met.
What does it mean to be human? To Worship God? To believe there is life after our time on earth?
The questions most people ask at some point. Come on and see what Jordan discovers!!
The one part I had trouble with, was the shift in POV. They were sometimes confusing to me. I always knew who was sharing, but sometimes it was “YOU”, and sometimes it was “I” if that makes sense.
I received a copy of this book from @NetGalley, and chose to review it here. All thoughts are my own.
About Steven James, Author
Steven James is the critically acclaimed, national bestselling author of sixteen novels. His work has been optioned by ABC Studios and praised by Publishers Weekly, Library Journal, the New York Journal of Books, and many others. His pulse-pounding, award-winning thrillers are known for their intricate storylines and insightful explorations of good and evil. When he’s not working on his next book, he’s either teaching master classes on writing throughout the country, trail running, or sneaking off to catch a matinee.
More from Steven James, Author
“James is a pro at creating suspense.”
“stimulating tale…thrilling story of greed and corruption”
Publishers Weekly STARRED review
Read my op-ed on robots and faith in the New York Times
I grew up reading and loving science fiction stories. I’ve always been intrigued by the idea of artificial intelligence. But as I’ve thought about it over the years, I’ve realized that our lives are not based just on what we know. It’s also what we believe. So, I started asking myself, “What would the world look like if machines developed artificial belief?” Within a few decades, advanced AIs might very well have consciousness and self-awareness. At that point, what will they choose to believe about the meaning of live, God, and the afterlife?
All of these questions were in my mind as I wrote Synapse, a story that takes place 30 years from now in a world very much like our own. This is a cautionary tale with implications that are both chilling and revealing. I think that if you like suspense, you’ll love this near-future thriller.
Learn more at Steven James Author Website.
You can find him on Facebook and Twitter: @readstevenjames
Buy the book: https://www.tnzfiction.com/synapse-a-novel/
Blog Stops for Synapse:
Book Reviews From an Avid Reader, October 8
Just Your Average reviews, October 9
Emily Yager, October 9
amandainpa , October 10
Wishful Endings, October 10
Just the Write Escape, October 11
Writings, Ramblings, and Reflections, October 11
Pause for Tales, October 12
Mary Hake, October 12
Debbie’s Dusty Deliberations, October 13
For The Love of Books, October 13
Truth and Grace Homeschool Academy, October 14
Hallie Reads, October 15
Blogging With Carol, October 15
Remembrancy, October 16
Through the Fire Blogs, October 16
Simple Harvest Reads, October 17
Texas Book-aholic, October 18
Rebekah Jones, Author, October 18
janicesbookreviews, October 19
Bigreadersite, October 19
A Reader’s Brain, October 20
Inklings and notions , October 21
By The Book, October 21
Until Next Time, Love God, Love Books, Shine The Light!!
- Celebrate Lit with the Best Christian Book Publicity Group!
- Haven of Rest (Biblical Fiction)
- The Trouble With Nancy (Pony Express Mystery)
- Stitches in Time (Amish Fiction, Foster Care)
- Frost Heaves (Contemporary Alaskan Suspense)
- A Promise to Break (Great Depression Novel)
- Darcy by Any Other Name (Regency Body-swap)
- 115+ Bookish Goodies (Non-book items for Bookworms)
- Once Upon a Christmas (Contemporary Retellings of Timeless Fairy Tales)
- Summer Flash Burn By Erin Unger (Blue Ridge Romantic Suspense
- Synapse: Steven James New Book (Christian Sci-fi Thriller)
- The Vacant House (Murder Mystery)
- Acts420NOW (A Bible Study to Get You In Gear!)
- The Glittering Web (Futuristic Suspense, Untangling a web of Deception
- 44 Best Bookish Games and Bookworm Word Games
- Better than Fiction (Historical/Contemporary Romance)
- Bound to be Free (Bible Study/Spiritual Growth)
- No Turning Back (Romantic Suspense/Prison Ministry turned Riot)
- Hope’s Highest Mountain (Historical Romance, Montana Territory)
- Whispers in the Pews (Essays on Faith and Mental Health
- The Painted Castle (Historical/Contemporary Romance/Mystery
- 45+ Unique Gifts for Kids Who Love to Read (Gift Guide)
- Grief and Second Chances (God’s Gift of Hope-Nonfiction)
- Fatal Memories (An Arizona Border Patrol Adventure)
- How To Overcome Depression With Science and Scripture
- Mission Hollywood: Love Faith, and Second Chances
- Citizenship Bible Study: Leaders, Nations, and God
- Aiming For Love: Historical Romantic Comedy
- When Only Faith Remains (Mary, Mother of Jesus)
- Wonderful YaH: The Unveiling
- Before Christmas (Journey back to the Beginning)