Aryn the Libraryan exists to connect Christian women to the books they need. Whatever problem you’re facing, there’s a book that will help point you to Jesus and his solution, including
- Spiritual Growth
- Bible Studies and Devotions
- Gifts for Kids and Adults
Who Is Aryn the Libraryan?
Well, I’ve been in love with Jesus and books since before I can remember!
As a kid, the best form of discipline was always taking away my books. And you know what? I’m still addicted to reading. I’m very grateful for parents who saw that I was going to need to learn to control that desire for books, and see to my responsibilities!
God has used that love of reading to teach me much, as He teaches me what is and is not acceptable, what is, and is not present in my life, based on these (most often) fictional stories. He uses them as a mirror; sometimes I like what I see, other times I don’t. I’d really like to share these with you, too! We can apply truth together!
I started this Christian book review blog in 2017 in part because some friends were expressing their concerns about the dangers of Biblical fiction, and getting confused between the Biblical account and the made-up stories. In my experience, reading Biblical fiction, when it’s well written, and you read the Biblical account first, and again afterward, your understanding grows. You see the characters as real people even more clearly. I find it especially fun to read multiple authors take on a single character.
One way to help keep things straight, and learn from what we’re reading, is to turn books into a conversation with God. Here is my free Faith and Fiction devotional reading journal for you!
Choosing Good Christian Books
I’m very picky about what I read. Finding books that are well written, fun, point to Jesus in some way, and are affordable is tough sometimes.
I’m willing to be challenged and grow in many ways, but I have a very low tolerance for inappropriate content. If I would be ashamed to read it out loud to Jesus, or my elementary age son, I probably shouldn’t be reading it.
That’s not to say I don’t read things my boy isn’t ready for, because I most definitely do. I don’t think he would be up for the action/suspense of Coat of the Ancients in my post on Christian Fatherhood, or any number of adult situations in my favorite romantic fiction or Christian time travel or fantasy books. But, I wouldn’t be embarrassed or upset if I catch him reading them over the next few years. Why? Because the language is clean, and any situations that are sinful and evil are not glorified. And ooh the conversation starters!
That said, you can expect only well-screened books to be recommended here! If I recommend a few clean books that aren’t overtly Christian, it would be because I found enough value in them, and places that show Biblical values lived out.
How YOU Can Help Pick the Next Christian Book Review
If you would take a minute to fill out this super quick survey, it would help so much with choosing what books to review here! After all, it doesn’t help anyone if I am not picking books you would actually be interested in!!
Thank you, Aryn the Libraryan!!
Until Next Time, Love God, Love Books, Shine The Light!!
- 17+ Best Christian Romance Novels, And Should You Read Them?An interesting topic, contemporary Christian romance novels. There are pros and cons, and I think it’s time we discussed them. Some people love them, and lose themselves easily between the pages. Others find it both invasive and unrealistic. This debate has a lot of truth on both sides, and I want to do it … Read More
- How to Teach The Real Easter Story For Kids: 10 Best Easter Story BooksThe Real Easter Story is so special. I don’t think we truly grasp just how privileged we are, to have such free access to forgiveness and love. And if we as adults struggle with wrapping our minds around it, then we need to think about our kids. The meaning of Easter for kids can be … Read More
- How to Set Christian Goals: Understanding God’s Grace is KeyOkay, so this is a little hard to write. I’ve been ‘in church’ since well before I was born. But in over 30 years, I was still childlike in understanding God’s grace and favor. I’ve had the Sunday School answer, a simple, childish acceptance, which is great, but we’re called to a combination of childlike … Read More
- Welcome to The Independence Islands (Must Read Christian Beach Reads)Welcome to the Independence Islands. An imaginary set of islands off the coast of Georgia, populated by the imaginary friends of some fun Christian authors. We get to tag along on some fantastic adventures in daily life. These Christian beach reads will challenge your faith muscles, have you laughing and crying, and basically cause you … Read More
- How Do You Plan to Achieve Your Goals? Setting Personal Goals in LifeKnowing what you want, and WHY you want it will take you a long way towards making it happen. But that’s not all that matters. Getting God’s input, making sure that you are following Biblical goal-setting practices, and having access to God’s power and favor in your follow-through? Those things make all the difference in the world!