Welcome, I’m Aryn the Libraryan, and sharing Christian book reviews is the highlight of my day. It’s so nice to “meet” you!
I’m here to connect Christian women to the books they need. Whatever problem you’re facing, there’s a book that will help point you to Jesus and his solution, including
- Short Devotionals to fit into your busy life,
- How to “Fear God, not Man!”
- Is it okay to read Christian Romance Novels?
- Top Christian Fiction Books, and
- Faith-filled books for your kids and teens.
There’s also a nice collection of free printables especially designed for Christian Book Lovers.
Getting Started: Christian Fiction Book Reviews:
Christian book reviews are full of opinions and preferences, and especially with Christian fiction book reviews, I try to give you a head’s up if there are particular real-life situations that you may be sensitive to. I recommend reading books that challenge you, but I don’t want you blindsided by a situation or event in your book friend’s life that you can’t handle this week.
Here are the most recent Christian fiction book review posts, so you can find just the right book for fun, that’ll also make you think:
- Tropical TargetWho knew wedding photography could be so hazardous to your health? Haley sure didn’t. She was just trying to earn a decent living, and next thing you know, her life is upside down and clearly in jeopardy! Don’t forget to enter the giveaway at the bottom of this post! About the Book Book: Tropical Target Author: Jennifer … Read More
- An Unexpected GiftHard to believe we’re already on book 7 of the Suamalie Islands Year One. The variety this series offers, with varying levels and styles of suspense, romance, and broken people finding healing. Or at least starting their journey in that direction. And today’s book is no exception! (Don’t forget to comment and then enter the … Read More
- Room for LoveA bed and breakfast on the beach, on a tropical island is the setting for this fantastic story. Our widowed B&B operator just sent her son off to college and is trying to find a new normal. In comes the hurting widow professor from Albuquerque, looking for a project and a place to heal. I … Read More
- Top 10 Best Christian Allegory Books For Your Next AdventureBefore we really dig into the best Christian allegory books, lets set a foundation of why they’re worth reading. Because their power is impressive. They tend to capture the imagination and take you along for the ride. So we want to know where we’re going is where we want to be, right? Then we can … Read More
- Love Like No OtherI really like how often Tabitha Bouldin writes characters who are in the process of working through big, painful issues. There’s depth and emotion and reactions that they’re not always proud of. But they don’t stay stuck forever, and they keep trying. Today’s book is another relatable struggle, and well worth reading. And as always … Read More
Christian Book Reviews: NonFiction
And here are the latest posts in the Christian book review, nonfiction lineup, for deepening your faith and strengthening your peace and hope. Bible studies and devotionals as well as spiritual growth ‘Christian living’ type Christian book reviews can be found here:
- How To Do Devotions: Understanding the Meaning of Devotion Changes EverythingSometimes the idea of there being a right and wrong way how to do devotions can be so intimidating! But it doesn’t have to be. I think we’ve both overcomplicated the concept and also reduced it so it became a 5-15 minute checkbox on our to-do list. But the meaning of devotion is so much … Read More
- Awesome Devotional About Humility in the Bible and TodayHey, I’m glad you’re here! Today I want to share an awesome devotional on humility in the Bible and today. It’s a combination of contemporary Christian fiction and a devotional inspired by First Corinthians 13. Because the essence of the ‘love chapter’ really is humility, isn’t it? The power of humility is in its putting … Read More
- 40+ Short Inspirational Devotions You’ll LoveHave you ever read any devotionals that took just a few minutes, but then they echoed in your head and heart for days (or longer)? Just a small nugget of God’s truth wrapped in a powerful illustration and paired with the right verse at the right time? Me too. And it’s an awesome feeling. Short … Read More
- Managing Expectations in Relationships: 13 Great Christian Books About RelationshipsMy small group did a study on the book The Bait of Satan by John Bevere a couple of years ago. It went a long way towards helping me in managing my expectations in relationships with others. The subtitle of the book is “Living Free from the Deadly Trap of Offense.” When you think about … Read More
- Christian Moms: 7 Best Books to Read When PregnantToday, let’s talk about pregnancy as a Christian Mom. There are some pretty amazing Christian pregnancy books out there, both for moms and kids! I want to encourage you with some of the best books to read when pregnant, before you reach that point of overwhelm, if at all possible. If you can’t quite manage … Read More
Christian Book Reviews for Parents:
And one of the best parts of the job is providing Christian book reviews for parents. I still love to read books for teens myself, and as I have two young boys, I’m always reading children’s books. So Christian parent book reviews are always happening.
Here are the latest book reviews for Christian parents:
Christian Book Reviews for Teens
- 100+ Christian Middle Grade Books You’ll LoveToday let’s talk about how to determine the best middle grade books of all time. (and yes, I plan on tackling a quality high school reading list soon, too) The Best Middle Grade Books of All Time I have been reading for a long time. Some stories are awesome, and some are not. Today, I … Read More
- Fear God Not Man: Encouragement, with a ChallengeWhen you fear God not man, you have so much more freedom! The pressure is so much lighter! To fear no one but God is an interesting dynamic, I think. Sometimes I manage to do this, and other times the fear of man (opinions, appearances, insults or even a general “hard time”) holds me back from … Read More
- 17 Best Christian Fantasy Books to Enjoy Right NowFantasy, by definition, is imagining something impossible, or improbable. Christians, by definition, are followers, disciples, of Jesus Christ. A very real, possible and amazing Savior. At first glance, these two don’t really have much in common, do they? But we’re here discussing the intersection of these two topics anyway. So what are Christian Fantasy Books, … Read More
- 6 Queen Esther Characteristics: Key To Live a Quality LifeWhich Queen Esther Characteristics are the most worthwhile and transformative? And How did Hadassah become so captivating? Who was she? Did she really exist? Was King Xerxes truly so in love with her that he was willing to find a way to save a whole people group? And what’s the deal with Mordechai and Haman?? … Read More
- United Forces: Dystopian for KidsAn unforgettable storyline with kids you may find yourself praying for accidentally (true confessions here, you guys!). Today we get to visit the Underground Book Readers Secret Society again, and see how they’re doing. If you recall, we first met them a few months ago, and I was eager for the opportunity to follow up … Read More
Christian Book Reviews off the Children’s Bookshelf
- Reading With Your Child: How To Make It AwesomeIf you’re not part of the reading with your child club, please give me a chance to persuade you!There’s nothing quite like curling up on the couch to read with your child. Unless it’s when you reach a point where you take turns reading aloud while doing something else (driving, cooking…). Growing up, reading with … Read More
- 10 Best Bibles for Kids That Are Worth ReadingThere are so many Bibles for Kids out there. It’s easy to be overwhelmed when trying to pick a solid, accurate, but age-appropriate Bible to give your kids a good foundation in the Truth. And honestly, I just learned that one I thought was good, still managed to have an agenda other than sharing God’s … Read More
- 40+ Awesome Christian Children’s Books Not to MissToday we have a collection of awesome Christian books for children, that will make storytime that much more meaningful. Growing the faith of a child in your care is such a privilege. I truly hope you are considering the eternity of the kids around you, and spending time nurturing and growing that faith, one Christian … Read More
- How to Build Your Kids Devotional Habit RightWe all want the best for our kids, right? But sometimes that’s difficult. Since we know more is caught than taught, then figuring out how to build your kids devotional habit right, like most things, relies on your own personal devotional habit. and yet, we struggle with that too sometimes. God looks at the heart, … Read More
- Telling the Christmas Story This Year? 42+ Top ToolsWell, I only had my basket of books for telling the Christmas story for kids out for 3 days, and I had already been “scolded” for not having a post up about my favorite Christian Christmas stories for kids. So I am putting together a list to help you with telling the Christmas story for … Read More
Who Is Aryn the Libraryan?
Well, I’ve been in love with Jesus and books since before I can remember!
As a kid, the best form of discipline was always taking away my books. And you know what? I’m still addicted to reading. I’m very grateful for parents who saw that I was going to need to learn to control that desire for books, and see to my responsibilities!
God has used that love of reading to teach me much, as He teaches me what is and is not acceptable, what is, and is not present in my life, based on these (most often) fictional stories. He uses them as a mirror; sometimes I like what I see, other times I don’t. I’d really like to share these with you, too! We can apply truth together!
I started this Christian book review blog in 2017 in part because some friends were expressing their concerns about the dangers of Biblical fiction, and getting confused between the Biblical account and the made-up stories. In my experience, reading Biblical fiction, when it’s well written, and you read the Biblical account first, and again afterward, your understanding grows. You see the characters as real people even more clearly. I find it especially fun to read multiple authors take on a single character.
One way to help keep things straight, and learn from what we’re reading, is to turn books into a conversation with God. Here is my free Faith and Fiction devotional reading journal for you!
Choosing Good Christian Books
I’m very picky about what I read. Finding books that are well-written, fun, point to Jesus in some way, and are affordable is tough sometimes.
I’m willing to be challenged and grow in many ways, but I have a very low tolerance for inappropriate content. If I would be ashamed to read it out loud to Jesus, or my elementary-age son, I probably shouldn’t be reading it.
That’s not to say I don’t read things my boy isn’t ready for, because I most definitely do. I don’t think he would be up for the action/suspense of Coat of the Ancients in my post on Christian Fatherhood, or any number of adult situations in my favorite romantic fiction or Christian time travel or fantasy books. But, I wouldn’t be embarrassed or upset if I catch him reading them over the next few years. Why? Because the language is clean, and any situations that are sinful and evil are not glorified. And ooh the conversation starters!
That said, you can expect only well-screened books to be recommended here! If I recommend a few clean books that aren’t overtly Christian, it would be because I found enough value in them, and places that show Biblical values lived out.
My Favorite Christian Book Stores:
- Answers In Genesis
- BibleStore (Much More Than Bibles)
How YOU Can Help Pick the Next Christian Book Review
If you would take a minute to fill out this super quick survey, it would help so much with choosing what books to review here! After all, it doesn’t help anyone if I am not picking books you would actually be interested in!!
Thank you, Aryn the Libraryan!!
Until Next Time, Love God, Love Books, Shine The Light!!