Welcome, I’m Aryn the Libraryan, and sharing Christian book reviews is the highlight of my day. It’s so nice to “meet” you!
I’m here to connect Christian women to the books they need. Whatever problem you’re facing, there’s a book that will help point you to Jesus and his solution, including
- Short Devotionals to fit into your busy life,
- How to “Fear God, not Man!”
- Is it okay to read Christian Romance Novels?
- Top Christian Fiction Books, and
- Faith-filled books for your kids and teens.
There’s also a nice collection of free printables especially designed for Christian Book Lovers.
Getting Started: Christian Fiction Book Reviews:
Christian book reviews are full of opinions and preferences, and especially with Christian fiction book reviews, I try to give you a head’s up if there are particular real-life situations that you may be sensitive to. I recommend reading books that challenge you, but I don’t want you blindsided by a situation or event in your book friend’s life that you can’t handle this week.
Here are the most recent Christian fiction book review posts, so you can find just the right book for fun, that’ll also make you think:
- Dial E for Endearment: A Sweet StoryI could not put this one down. It’s a beautiful, light story, that shows real people with real struggles, but lifts you up in the process. I have always had eye issues, but nothing like Everly. Still, it was a nice connection. I hope you’ll leave a comment, and then enter the giveaway while you’re … Read More
- Sweet Rivalry: A Tasty Lost Twin TaleRivalry doesn’t have to be ugly. And today’s book deals with more than one kind of rivalry. Definitely had a lot of fun with this book, and I highly recommend it if you want to laugh, and get inspired to bake something tasty. Because these girls are really good at making you want to try … Read More
- Lydia in the Bible: 6 Lessons We Still NeedI absolutely love the story of Lydia in the Bible! The way God directed Paul, taking him somewhere he hadn’t even considered going, in order to reach Lydia, seller of purple, the God-fearing woman who had resources, and a generous spirit. Through her, the church at Philippi was given a home, and her life was … Read More
- Blended LivesWe’re all blending our lives with those around us. But Sarah and Seth have the added complexities of 2 kids apiece, widowhood, and unspoken dreams. Watching these two figuring things out is a lot of fun! Plus we get more of Scott and Beth’s story, as we read. I love these two! You can read … Read More
- How to Be a Princess: 7 Characteristics of a PrincessAuthor Toni Shiloh is joining us today to talk about how to be a princess, and share her brand new modern-day princess story! Many young girls play dress-up and pretend to be a princess, but what if a young, American woman actually found out she was a princess? Would It Be a Dream Come True … Read More
Christian Book Reviews: NonFiction
And here are the latest posts in the Christian book review, nonfiction lineup, for deepening your faith and strengthening your peace and hope. Bible studies and devotionals as well as spiritual growth ‘Christian living’ type Christian book reviews can be found here:
- God to the Rescue: Saving the Man from the LegionGod to the Rescue: Legion is an in-depth 6 week Bible study that packs quite a punch! You get a true grasp of the context, and see the beauty of God’s Rescue Plan in Action.
- How to Study the Bible: Best Bible Study ToolsIf you haven’t already done it a few times, knowing how to study the Bible can be overwhelming. But studying the Bible does not have to be a big deal. God paved the way for us and is looking forward to spending time with you. There is no reason to be intimidated. Here are a … Read More
- 161 Of the Best Missionary Stories for Christian FamiliesMissionary stories, full of testimony of partnering with God, joining him right where he is already at work, are so cool! And the really good ones show the failures, flaws, and fears too. Just like the Bible does. It’s time to dive into some truly great missions stories, so we can learn and grow together. … Read More
- Best Devos to Help You Choose Faith Over FearLife can be scary and full of stressful things, whether natural like hurricanes and tornadoes and viruses, or manmade like terrorist activities and wars. But the God who created the world HAS NOT ABANDONED US! I’ve always been fascinated by the many times in Scripture where something awful is happening and then, my 2 favorite … Read More
- 7 Best Devotionals for Homeschool Moms to Keep Jesus CloseToday, let’s talk devotionals for homeschool moms. We get overwhelmed, and we don’t need to be! There is a certain pressure in life, that we’ve gotta do it all. Keep a well-run house, play with the kids, educate them both academically, spiritually, and with morals and life skills, take care of our husbands and extended … Read More
Christian Book Reviews for Parents:
And one of the best parts of the job is providing Christian book reviews for parents. I still love to read books for teens myself, and as I have two young boys, I’m always reading children’s books. So Christian parent book reviews are always happening.
Here are the latest book reviews for Christian parents:
Christian Book Reviews for Teens
- Liberty Lane’s Rebel-ution: An Epic Esther In Middle SchoolLiberty Lane is a modern-day Esther, who’s about to take on the Royal Crown Singing Competition, peer pressure, a bully, and a few fears along the way. I have to admit this girl got to me. I’m proud of her, cheered her on, and questioned her timing a time or two. I think you’ll enjoy … Read More
- 100+ Best Middle Grade Books Of All TimeToday let’s talk about how to determine the best middle grade books of all time. (and yes, I plan on tackling a quality high school reading list soon, too) The Best middle grade books of all time are timeless – the story isn’t so bogged down in some issue that would not apply 20 years … Read More
- How to Live Royal: Book of Esther Bible Study for Teen GirlsWe get to revisit the book of Esther today! Twice in one year, but totally different, too. Remember when I reviewed Hadassah: Queen Esther of Persia over the summer? I explained then that I had the unique privilege of doing both a sermon series at church And preview a book of Esther Bible study for … Read More
- 6 Queen Esther Characteristics We Should Be Practicing NowWhich Queen Esther Characteristics are the most worthwhile and transformative? And How did Hadassah in the Bible become so captivating? Hadassah, Queen Esther of Persia. Who was she? Did she really exist? Was King Xerxes truly so in love with her that he was willing to find a way to save a whole people group? … Read More
- Top 8 Best Christian Time Travel Series For Exciting AdventuresToday’s topic, Christian Time Travel Series! I love books about time travel, especially when they have Christian values and messages woven throughout the story. Have you ever wondered what it would be like to find yourself in another time entirely? This has always fascinated me. (And NOT just because Captain Kirk and Spock made a … Read More
Christian Book Reviews off the Children’s Bookshelf
- Telling the Christmas Story: 35+ Best Kids Books for AdventWell, I only had my basket of books for telling the Christmas story for kids out for 3 days, and I had already been “scolded” for not having a post up about my favorite Christian children’s Christmas stories. So I am putting together a list to help you with telling the Christmas story for kids … Read More
- Fuel The Imagination Of A Child: 43+ Best Bookish GiftsKids who love to read get to experience some of the most amazing adventures. From exploring time and space to character traits and emotions, bookworm kids have a head start in life. As parents, you want to do everything you can to help, from reading to your child to supplying them with a variety of … Read More
- 40+ Delightful Christian Children’s Books to Enjoy As a FamilyToday we have a collection of awesome Christian books for children, that will make storytime that much more meaningful. Growing the faith of a child in your care is such a privilege. I truly hope you are considering the eternity of the kids around you, and spending time nurturing and growing that faith, one Christian … Read More
- Don’t Blame the Mud: Best Books About Salvation for KidsThere’s nothing more important (or intimidating, it seems like) than trying to figure out how to explain salvation to a child. Where do you start? What do you say? And if you’ve heard how critical the 4-14 window is, the pressure is on! One thing about salvation for kids (or adults), if they don’t understand … Read More
- How to Teach The Real Easter Story For Kids: 10 Best Easter Story BooksThe Real Easter Story is so special. I don’t think we truly grasp just how privileged we are, to have such free access to forgiveness and love. And if we as adults struggle with wrapping our minds around it, then we need to think about our kids. The meaning of Easter for kids can be … Read More
Who Is Aryn the Libraryan?
Well, I’ve been in love with Jesus and books since before I can remember!
As a kid, the best form of discipline was always taking away my books. And you know what? I’m still addicted to reading. I’m very grateful for parents who saw that I was going to need to learn to control that desire for books, and see to my responsibilities!
God has used that love of reading to teach me much, as He teaches me what is and is not acceptable, what is, and is not present in my life, based on these (most often) fictional stories. He uses them as a mirror; sometimes I like what I see, other times I don’t. I’d really like to share these with you, too! We can apply truth together!
I started this Christian book review blog in 2017 in part because some friends were expressing their concerns about the dangers of Biblical fiction, and getting confused between the Biblical account and the made-up stories. In my experience, reading Biblical fiction, when it’s well written, and you read the Biblical account first, and again afterward, your understanding grows. You see the characters as real people even more clearly. I find it especially fun to read multiple authors take on a single character.
One way to help keep things straight, and learn from what we’re reading, is to turn books into a conversation with God. Here is my free Faith and Fiction devotional reading journal for you!
Choosing Good Christian Books
I’m very picky about what I read. Finding books that are well-written, fun, point to Jesus in some way, and are affordable is tough sometimes.
I’m willing to be challenged and grow in many ways, but I have a very low tolerance for inappropriate content. If I would be ashamed to read it out loud to Jesus, or my elementary-age son, I probably shouldn’t be reading it.
That’s not to say I don’t read things my boy isn’t ready for, because I most definitely do. I don’t think he would be up for the action/suspense of Coat of the Ancients in my post on Christian Fatherhood, or any number of adult situations in my favorite romantic fiction or Christian time travel or fantasy books. But, I wouldn’t be embarrassed or upset if I catch him reading them over the next few years. Why? Because the language is clean, and any situations that are sinful and evil are not glorified. And ooh the conversation starters!
That said, you can expect only well-screened books to be recommended here! If I recommend a few clean books that aren’t overtly Christian, it would be because I found enough value in them, and places that show Biblical values lived out.
My Favorite Christian Book Stores:
- Answers In Genesis
- BibleStore (Much More Than Bibles)
How YOU Can Help Pick the Next Christian Book Review
If you would take a minute to fill out this super quick survey, it would help so much with choosing what books to review here! After all, it doesn’t help anyone if I am not picking books you would actually be interested in!!
Thank you, Aryn the Libraryan!!
Until Next Time, Love God, Love Books, Shine The Light!!