Aryn the Libraryan exists to connect Christian women to the books they need. Whatever problem you’re facing, there’s a book that will help point you to Jesus and his solution, including
- Spiritual Growth
- Bible Studies and Devotions
- Gifts for Kids and Adults
Who Is Aryn the Libraryan?
Well, I’ve been in love with Jesus and books since before I can remember!
As a kid, the best form of discipline was always taking away my books. And you know what? I’m still addicted to reading. I’m very grateful for parents who saw that I was going to need to learn to control that desire for books, and see to my responsibilities!
God has used that love of reading to teach me much, as He teaches me what is and is not acceptable, what is, and is not present in my life, based on these (most often) fictional stories. He uses them as a mirror; sometimes I like what I see, other times I don’t. I’d really like to share these with you, too! We can apply truth together!
I started this Christian book review blog in 2017 in part because some friends were expressing their concerns about the dangers of Biblical fiction, and getting confused between the Biblical account and the made-up stories. In my experience, reading Biblical fiction, when it’s well written, and you read the Biblical account first, and again afterward, your understanding grows. You see the characters as real people even more clearly. I find it especially fun to read multiple authors take on a single character.
One way to help keep things straight, and learn from what we’re reading, is to turn books into a conversation with God. Here is my free Faith and Fiction devotional reading journal for you!
Choosing Good Christian Books
I’m very picky about what I read. Finding books that are well written, fun, point to Jesus in some way, and are affordable is tough sometimes.
I’m willing to be challenged and grow in many ways, but I have a very low tolerance for inappropriate content. If I would be ashamed to read it out loud to Jesus, or my elementary age son, I probably shouldn’t be reading it.
That’s not to say I don’t read things my boy isn’t ready for, because I most definitely do. I don’t think he would be up for the action/suspense of Coat of the Ancients in my post on Christian Fatherhood, or any number of adult situations in my favorite romantic fiction or Christian time travel or fantasy books. But, I wouldn’t be embarrassed or upset if I catch him reading them over the next few years. Why? Because the language is clean, and any situations that are sinful and evil are not glorified. And ooh the conversation starters!
That said, you can expect only well-screened books to be recommended here! If I recommend a few clean books that aren’t overtly Christian, it would be because I found enough value in them, and places that show Biblical values lived out.
How YOU Can Help Pick the Next Christian Book Review
If you would take a minute to fill out this super quick survey, it would help so much with choosing what books to review here! After all, it doesn’t help anyone if I am not picking books you would actually be interested in!!
Thank you, Aryn the Libraryan!!
Until Next Time, Love God, Love Books, Shine The Light!!
- 35+ Heartwarming Christian Christmas Stories To Start Your Holiday Right NowIf you’re ready for a few heartwarming Christmas stories just for you, you’re in the right place. Here, you’ll find some awesome Christian Christmas stories to get your holiday off to the right start. From historical to contemporary, comedy to cozy to miraculous, these Christian Christmas books will fill you with the Joy of the … Read More
- 3 Top Christian Resources Full of Hope, Science and Scripture for DepressionIf you, or someone you love, is struggling to overcome depression, whether it’s a small thing or a major issue, you need more than just Christian platitudes. Even depression scripture can be misused and misapplied by well meaning people in a most unhelpful way. There is power and hope in trusting Scripture for depression coping … Read More
- Fairy Tale Retellings: 12+ Awesome Christian Fairy Tale AdaptationsWithout a doubt, these talented authors will whisk you into a wonderland of fairy tale retellings in a modern setting. The classic, timeless tales will come alive in new ways in these fairy tales with a modern twist of faith reminding you of the One True King, who died for you, his princess. I’ve read … Read More
- Faith in a Box: 13 Great Christian Subscription BoxesI certainly don’t want to keep my faith in a box, do you? But receiving Christian subscription boxes would mean opening the box and setting that faith free to do its work, right? Getting monthly packages full of Christian encouragement, books and apparel, etc. would be awesome! I recently discovered the wonders of the Christian … Read More
- Scrumptious Independence: One Woman’s Quest for MoreWe begin our lives totally dependent on others. Learning how to become independent as we grow up takes time, and can be made much more difficult if parents want to control or live vicariously through you. Venturing of on your own can be scary, but sometimes it’s the only way. Today’s Contemporary Christian Fiction book … Read More