Well, Today’s #ChristianBooktober 28th already, and I’m not quite sure where the month went!
I couldn’t put Aiming for Love down. It might have something to do with walking a baby who wouldn’t sleep, and I can still navigate the house while reading on my kindle. But I doubt it. I think it was the storyline. It was very compelling!
Brides of Hope Mountain is a unique historical romantic comedy trilogy of funny light hearted books. I’ve now gotten to read both 1-2, and am eager for book 3 to come out.
We have one of those fun combinations today. It’s a Celebrate Lit Book Tour Spotlight for book 1, and I received a copy of the first 2 books from Netgalley, so I could share my thoughts with you also! (Updated April 2020)
Please note that this post contains affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase through one of the links, I may make a small commission. I only recommend books and resources that I’ve enjoyed personally, or believe that you would like. You can read my full disclosure here. You will also find information on Scripture translations there.
Funny Light Hearted Books full of Historical Romance and Adventure
The 3 Nordegren girls have lived on Hope Mountain alone since they were little. When people show up, ready to move in, their whole world changes.
Knowing just that much, I had to read this series. Turns out, they are most definitely funny light hearted books, with a serious message of faith and trust.
About the Book: Aiming for Love
Book: Aiming for Love
Author: Mary Connealy
Genre: Christian Historical Romance
Release Date: October 2, 2019
Josephine Nordegren is one of three sisters who grew up nearly wild in southwestern Colorado. She has the archery skills of Robin Hood and the curiosity of the Little Mermaid, fascinated by but locked away from the forbidden outside world–a world she’s been raised to believe killed her parents. When David Warden, a rancher, brings in a herd much too close to the girls’ secret home, her older sister is especially frightened, but Jo is too interested to stay away.
David’s parents follow soon on his heels, escaping bandits at their ranch. But his father is wounded and needs shelter. Josephine and her sisters have the only cabin on the mountain. Do they risk stepping into the world to help those in need? Or do they remain separated but safe in the peaks of Hope Mountain?
Click here to get your copy!
My Take on Aiming for Love
Aiming for Love combines all the wonder and curiosity of a toddler with the skill of an experienced woodsman (or in this case, woodswomen).
Jo captured my heart from the beginning of the book. Her isolated life creates a very observant young woman who is torn between her caution and her curiosity.
Her confident faith, despite a lack of knowledge is inspiring.
The family dynamics of the three sisters are well played. Love and drama. Fear and hope. Fun and frustration.
Dave was a very entertaining character for me. Strong and confident but so totally puzzled by these women on the mountaintop!
While some parts of the story seem to go rather quickly, I still found it believable in context of the time and setting.
As soon as I finished reading, I looked up the sequel, because the buildup was pretty intense. It will be available in March. I’m counting the weeks!
A few threads were neatly tied up, but the stage is only just set for the bigger plot. Definitely a great start for this trilogy of funny light hearted books!
More Funny Light Hearted Books
About the Book: Woman of Sunlight
Book: Woman of Sunlight
Author: Mary Connealy
Genre: Christian Historical Romance
Release Date: March 3, 2020
Mitch Warden thought he’d gotten away from his old life without a trace, but there’s evidence to the contrary. Now he’s got to go face the danger head on. But he’s not going alone!
Ilsa Nordegren is about to leave Hope Mountain for the first time ever. All fears aside, she’s ready to go and help Mitch, the man who drives her nuts.
My Thoughts on Woman of Sunlight
First, Woman of Sunlight definitely qualifies on all counts as one of the most funny light hearted books I’ve read in recent years.
Ilsa’s inner commentary is very funny, and her perspective makes you think. First, she’s suddenly around 1 family from down below, with their ranch hands. Then, they go down to the “BIG CITY” of Bucksnort. What’s she gonna think when they reach Denver, or Chicago?
I really appreciated her ability to trust Mitch’s leading in the wholly unfamiliar environment down below. She knows she’s out of her depth, and trusts him to a, not lose her, and b, keep her safe.
Mitch, too, learns to trust her instincts and skills as a mountain woman who’s been around predatory animals forever. He’s able to accept her ability to translate that skill to be used against the men hunting them. It doesn’t come easy for him, but he does. I can respect that.
Why Read Funny Light Hearted Books?
Why read funny light hearted books? Well, because life can get so heavy sometimes, and you need a good laugh!
You can also learn a lot about human nature, faith, and love, as well as historical culture. And it tends to stick better when it comes from funny light hearted books than dry text books!!
What are your favorite funny light hearted books? And why do you love them so much?
Until Next Time, Love God, Love Books, Shine The Light!!
More from #ChristianBooktober
- Celebrate Lit with the Best Christian Book Publicity Group!
- Haven of Rest (Biblical Fiction)
- The Trouble With Nancy (Pony Express Mystery)
- Stitches in Time (Amish Fiction, Foster Care)
- Frost Heaves (Contemporary Alaskan Suspense)
- A Promise to Break (Great Depression Novel)
- Darcy by Any Other Name (Regency Body-swap)
- 115+ Bookish Goodies (Non-book items for Bookworms)
- Once Upon a Christmas (Contemporary Retellings of Timeless Fairy Tales)
- Summer Flash Burn By Erin Unger (Blue Ridge Romantic Suspense
- Synapse: Steven James New Book (Christian Sci-fi Thriller)
- The Vacant House (Murder Mystery)
- Acts420NOW (A Bible Study to Get You In Gear!)
- The Glittering Web (Futuristic Suspense, Untangling a web of Deception
- 44 Best Bookish Games and Bookworm Word Games
- Better than Fiction (Historical/Contemporary Romance)
- Bound to be Free (Bible Study/Spiritual Growth)
- No Turning Back (Romantic Suspense/Prison Ministry turned Riot)
- Hope’s Highest Mountain (Historical Romance, Montana Territory)
- Whispers in the Pews (Essays on Faith and Mental Health
- The Painted Castle (Historical/Contemporary Romance/Mystery
- 45+ Unique Gifts for Kids Who Love to Read (Gift Guide)
- Grief and Second Chances (God’s Gift of Hope-Nonfiction)
- Fatal Memories (An Arizona Border Patrol Adventure)
- How To Overcome Depression With Science and Scripture
- Mission Hollywood: Love Faith, and Second Chances
- Citizenship Bible Study: Leaders, Nations, and God
- Aiming For Love: Historical Romantic Comedy
- When Only Faith Remains (Mary, Mother of Jesus)
- Wonderful YaH: The Unveiling
- Before Christmas (Journey back to the Beginning)