#ChristianBooktober 2019, Day 2: Haven of Rest. If you’re looking for a great example of trusting God in the midst of trials, read this book!
This bit of Biblical fiction is very believable, funny, sad and makes you think.
As part of #ChristianBooktober, Haven of Rest is one book that I chose to purchase myself. I did not receive anything from Celebrate Lit, as I did not officially sign up for the tour. All thoughts are my own, and I truly enjoyed it! (Bet you would never have guessed I picked a new Biblical Fiction Author for the first book review in Booktober, would you!)
Please note that this post contains affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase through one of the links, I may make a small commission. I only recommend books and resources that I’ve enjoyed personally, or believe that you would like. You can read my full disclosure here. You will also find information on Scripture translations there.
Haven of Rest Celebration Tour
Book: Haven of Rest
Author: Faith Blum
Genre: Biblical fiction
Release Date: July 26, 2019
Ignored by her father…
Adah was neglected by her abba and her brother. She must do something. All her previous plans have failed, but she won’t slip up this time. Since her abba is King David, author of many songs, what better way to gain his attention than pulling off a concert featuring twelve of his daughters?
As she plans, Adah’s discontentment grows. She throws herself into the work but worry edges into her heart anyway. Can Adah learn to rest in Adonai as her father? Will she learn contentment in all things?
Click here to get your copy!
- 8 Great Biblical Fiction Authors You Don’t Want to Miss
- Are You Ready to Dwell in the Shelter of the Most High
- Who Was Hadassah: Queen Esther of Persia?
About the Author of Haven of Rest
Faith Blum is a small-town Wisconsin girl. She has independently published over 25 books in over five years. Most of her books are Christian Historical Fiction with an emphasis on Westerns. During an eBook sale, she was #1 in Christian Westerns and Christian Western Anthologies on Amazon. During that sale, she sold over 3,000 copies.
Faith currently resides in Central Wisconsin with her husband and their cat, Smokey. When not writing, you can find her cooking food from scratch due to food allergies, doing dishes, knitting, crocheting, sewing, reading, or spending time with her husband. She loves to hear from her readers, so feel free to contact her on her website:https://faithblum.com.
More from Faith
The Haven of Rest was inspired by a friend. I wanted another fairy tale to retell for my series but had run out of ideas and she mentioned the 12 Dancing Princesses and how they 12 girls could be 12 daughters of King David. It took a little while, but the idea soon grew into this story.
I do take liberties throughout the story. It is a Biblical Fiction story, and I tried hard to keep to those roots and keep it accurate throughout, including for the betrothals and weddings. However, a few liberties I took were:
- Giving King David more daughters than are mentioned. I did have Tamar be one of the daughters.
- Creating a backstory for Amnon’s obsession with Tamar.
- Showing that King David was a flawed man who was not a good father. Although this isn’t stated outright in the Bible, it is definitely implied by the rebellion three of his sons showed and his lax discipline of Amnon after his rape of Tamar.
- The other liberty I took is a spoiler for the end of the book, so you will have to read the book to find out what that was. I do explain my reasoning of that one in the Historical Note at the end of the book.
I really enjoyed writing this story and hope you enjoy reading it!
Trusting God in the Midst of Trials
Sharing my thoughts on Haven of Rest, Definitely an example of Trusting God in the midst of trials.
I enjoyed this novella as a sneak peek in the background of David’s family life. I know that it had to have been a complicated mess.
Just from the glimpses of each of his wives and children in scripture, they all had to learn hard lessons on trusting God in the midst of trials.
Haven of Rest is one young woman seeking to feel accepted and wanted by her father.
I found her journey to trusting God in the midst of trials honest and real.
From a beginning with a ‘rubber ceiling’ relationship with God / Adonai, through encouragement from Abigail and others, to a true connection to him, it was beautiful.
And ultimately more valuable than the connection she desires with her earthly father.
Abigail’s story point was so encouraging. The way she dealt with her life, was a testimony of trusting God In difficult times. I’ve always been intrigued by her, and I like the way this author handles her story.
*For a look at examples of other Bible Characters trusting God through trials, please see my friend Diane’s post. She’s really done a great job!
Haven of Rest Blog Stops
Truth and Grace Homeschool Academy, September 21
Debbie’s Dusty Deliberations, September 22
All 4 and About Books, September 23 (Author Interview)
Abba’s Prayer Warrior Princess, September 24
Wishful Endings, September 25 (Author Interview)
A Reader’s Brain, September 26
Inklings and notions , September 27
Through the Fire Blogs, September 28
Mary Hake, September 29
Lukewarm Tea, September 30 (Author Interview)
Texas Book-aholic, October 1
Purposeful Learning, October 2
janicesbookreviews, October 3
Just the Write Escape, October 4
Haven of Rest Giveaway
To celebrate her tour, Faith is giving away a themed basket with two plastic canvas heart bookmarks, a paperback copy of the book, and a crocheted doily!!
Be sure to comment on the blog stops for nine extra entries into the giveaway! Click the link below to enter.
Until Next Time, Love God, Love Books, Shine The Light!!
- Celebrate Lit with the Best Christian Book Publicity Group!
- Haven of Rest (Biblical Fiction)
- The Trouble With Nancy (Pony Express Mystery)
- Stitches in Time (Amish Fiction, Foster Care)
- Frost Heaves (Contemporary Alaskan Suspense)
- A Promise to Break (Great Depression Novel)
- Darcy by Any Other Name (Regency Body-swap)
- 115+ Bookish Goodies (Non-book items for Bookworms)
- Once Upon a Christmas (Contemporary Retellings of Timeless Fairy Tales)
- Summer Flash Burn By Erin Unger (Blue Ridge Romantic Suspense
- Synapse: Steven James New Book (Christian Sci-fi Thriller)
- The Vacant House (Murder Mystery)
- Acts420NOW (A Bible Study to Get You In Gear!)
- The Glittering Web (Futuristic Suspense, Untangling a web of Deception
- 44 Best Bookish Games and Bookworm Word Games
- Better than Fiction (Historical/Contemporary Romance)
- Bound to be Free (Bible Study/Spiritual Growth)
- No Turning Back (Romantic Suspense/Prison Ministry turned Riot)
- Hope’s Highest Mountain (Historical Romance, Montana Territory)
- Whispers in the Pews (Essays on Faith and Mental Health
- The Painted Castle (Historical/Contemporary Romance/Mystery
- 45+ Unique Gifts for Kids Who Love to Read (Gift Guide)
- Grief and Second Chances (God’s Gift of Hope-Nonfiction)
- Fatal Memories (An Arizona Border Patrol Adventure)
- How To Overcome Depression With Science and Scripture
- Mission Hollywood: Love Faith, and Second Chances
- Citizenship Bible Study: Leaders, Nations, and God
- Aiming For Love: Historical Romantic Comedy
- When Only Faith Remains (Mary, Mother of Jesus)
- Wonderful YaH: The Unveiling
- Before Christmas (Journey back to the Beginning)