#ChristianBooktober Day 6: A Promise to Break.
Now I have not read this book. I was already fully ‘booked’ when Celebrate Lit set up the tour. So they are allowing me to spotlight here in the Library.
Historical fiction is an awesome way to experience the past and bring it to life again! I think it sounds fascinating, and I hope you like it!
Please note that this post contains affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase through one of the links, I may make a small commission. I only recommend books and resources that I’ve enjoyed personally, or believe that you would like. You can read my full disclosure here. You will also find information on Scripture translations there.
About the Book: A Promise to Break
Book: A Promise to Break
Author: Kathryn Spurgeon
Genre: Christian Historical
Release Date: July 11, 2016
SIBYL TRIMBLE, the daughter of a wealthy banking family during the Great Depression in Shawnee, Oklahoma, promises her father to be part of a political movement to change the world. By 1932, the timing to fulfill that promise finally seems right. Her life consists of fashionable clothes, cruising in a Model T, and dancing every weekend at the local speakeasy.
FREMONT POPE is a handsome, blue-eyed, down-on-his-luck hobo, and Sibyl’s life turns upside down when she meets him. Her love for him and his Christian family opens her eyes to a different way of life than she has ever known.
Based on a true story, this historical novel follows Sibyl through some difficult choices. She must dig deep within herself to find strength to face her father and determine which, if any, of her past beliefs can be salvaged. What is more important, love or duty?
So Click here to get your copy.
- Hidden Among the Stars, a tale of Jews in Austria
- Keeping Your Promise When It’s Hard!
- Solve by Christmas, or You’ll Be Sorry!
- Healing Through Forgiveness with Daughters of Northern Shores
About the Author of A Promise to Break
A Christian writer, Biblical counselor, teacher and speaker who offers insight, the author loves connecting to people individually and through retreats and conferences.
Kathryn’s mission is to teach that the passion of godly love knows no boundaries. Whether with prisoners, international students or those needing assistance, her platform strategy is the concept of personal, intimate encounters with Jesus. Her historical novel, “Up Town,” shows the importance of spiritual encounters with Jesus—small encounters that lead to a more mature spiritual life. Kathryn’s Biblical counseling and teaching background lends itself to this message.
She lived in South Korea for two years in her early twenties, spent time in an orphanage and adopted two Korean babies. A single mom for 18 years, she went from welfare to owner and CEO of a multimillion-dollar corporation, Integrity Healthy Care. Her company took care of the medical needs of over 4,000 prisoners and during that time she counseled over 200 women.
Kathryn and her husband, Bill, hold Bible studies for international students attending the University of Central Oklahoma. They have had many different students live in their home and try to help students in all areas of their lives.
Kathryn is on the Mission Team at her home church, Henderson Hills Baptist Church, in Edmond, Oklahoma, where she has been a member for over 13 years. While attending her prior church, Country Estates Baptist Church in Midwest City, Oklahoma, she was on the Finance and Long Range Planning Committees and taught DivorceCare and Financial classes. She is a Crown Money Map coach.
Bill and Kathryn have six children and nine grandchildren at the last count, including some adopted. Their family is internationally diverse. God’s love is enormous and includes all of us.
More from Kathryn
Have you ever wished to go back in time and question a relative who is no longer around? Ask what motivated her, certainly discuss her greatest heartaches and how she overcame them, analyze her spiritual journey?
My grandmother’s life was full of upheavals and I wish I could have spent more time with her and studied her thought-processes. My mother did spend more time with her. With a clear mind of that time, Mom (and many others) enthusiastically shared memories and discussed the lessons the once-wealthy Sibyl Trimble may have gathered in life.
What a trip it has been! Autobiographies. Publications. Notes in attic boxes containing information about secret love affairs and heart-breaking losses told with spiritual honesty. So the more information I uncovered, the more I wanted to get to know Sibyl Trimble, the person. I wanted to know how God worked in her life. I wanted to write her story.
The nostalgic era of the 1930s came alive to me as I traveled to places of lively, boogie-woogie music, old handwritten documents, and tombstones. The amazing, booming town of Shawnee, Oklahoma, was the perfect setting for a Great Depression tale. Some people moved to California during that time. Others stayed in Shawnee. In contrast to “The Grapes of Wrath,” this book relates the experiences of some who remained during one of the worst times in U.S. history. They stayed and thrived.
This book is not a recount of simple facts but examines the essence of a brilliant woman who traversed through life, maneuvering the hardships along with the blessings. I uncovered anecdotes, read newspaper articles, and confirmed family lore that had been passed down through generations.
Many readers agree Sibyl could have been their grandmother, their heritage, and after reading this book series, they will know Sibyl almost as well as I do.
Consequently, this story is an intimate look at a searching individual during the wistful days of a long-gone era. I expect after you read “A Promise to Break,” you’ll agree that Sibyl Trimble’s story needed to be told.
Truth and Grace Homeschool Academy, October 1
To Everything There Is A Season, October 1
Library Lady’s Kid Lit, October 2
Reflections From My Bookshelves, October 2
Through the Fire Blogs, October 3
Abba’s Prayer Warrior Princess, October 3
Connie’s History Classroom, October 4
Debbie’s Dusty Deliberations, October 4
Betti Mace, October 4
Older & Smarter?, October 5
Blogging With Carol , October 5
Hallie Reads, October 6
Life of Literature, October 6
Genesis 5020, October 7
A Baker’s Perspective, October 7
Rebekah Jones, Author, October 7
Moments, October 8
Emily Yager, October 8
For the Love of Literature, October 9
Maureen’s Musings, October 9
She Lives to Read, October 9
Locks, Hooks and Books, October 10
Stephanie’s Life of Determination, October 10
Pause for Tales , October 11
Connect in Fiction, October 11
Reader’s Cozy Corner, October 11
Texas Book-aholic, October 12
Bigreadersite, October 12
Inklings and notions, October 13
janicesbookreviews, October 13
Bloggin’ ’bout Books, October 13
A Reader’s Brain, October 14
Batya’s Bits, October 14
Finally, to celebrate her tour, Kathryn is giving away the grand prize of a $25 Amazon card and a copy of the book!!
So be sure to comment on the blog stops for nine extra entries into the giveaway! Click the link below to enter.
Until Next Time, Love God, Love Books, Shine The Light!!
- Celebrate Lit with the Best Christian Book Publicity Group!
- Haven of Rest (Biblical Fiction)
- The Trouble With Nancy (Pony Express Mystery)
- Stitches in Time (Amish Fiction, Foster Care)
- Frost Heaves (Contemporary Alaskan Suspense)
- A Promise to Break (Great Depression Novel)
- Darcy by Any Other Name (Regency Body-swap)
- 115+ Bookish Goodies (Non-book items for Bookworms)
- Once Upon a Christmas (Contemporary Retellings of Timeless Fairy Tales)
- Summer Flash Burn By Erin Unger (Blue Ridge Romantic Suspense
- Synapse: Steven James New Book (Christian Sci-fi Thriller)
- The Vacant House (Murder Mystery)
- Acts420NOW (A Bible Study to Get You In Gear!)
- The Glittering Web (Futuristic Suspense, Untangling a web of Deception
- 44 Best Bookish Games and Bookworm Word Games
- Better than Fiction (Historical/Contemporary Romance)
- Bound to be Free (Bible Study/Spiritual Growth)
- No Turning Back (Romantic Suspense/Prison Ministry turned Riot)
- Hope’s Highest Mountain (Historical Romance, Montana Territory)
- Whispers in the Pews (Essays on Faith and Mental Health
- The Painted Castle (Historical/Contemporary Romance/Mystery
- 45+ Unique Gifts for Kids Who Love to Read (Gift Guide)
- Grief and Second Chances (God’s Gift of Hope-Nonfiction)
- Fatal Memories (An Arizona Border Patrol Adventure)
- How To Overcome Depression With Science and Scripture
- Mission Hollywood: Love Faith, and Second Chances
- Citizenship Bible Study: Leaders, Nations, and God
- Aiming For Love: Historical Romantic Comedy
- When Only Faith Remains (Mary, Mother of Jesus)
- Wonderful YaH: The Unveiling
- Before Christmas (Journey back to the Beginning)